Culture(s) and Education
Schwäbisch Gmünd, Germany
April 22 – 26, 2024
We are happy to invite students and staff from selected international partners within the Comenius Association to join us for our “International Comenius Week”:
We are living in a world that is shaped by globalization and transformation. This affects education as well as culture. We have a huge exchange of ideas, concepts, and approaches through international collaboration. At the same time, education is still very much based upon local and national traditions. During the week, we will have a look at how culture and education have an influence on each other, and how multiple perspectives on education can make a difference in today’s rapidly changing world.
Schwäbisch Gmünd is a cosy medieval town situated in Southern Germany, 50 km away from Stuttgart. At the University of Education Schwäbisch Gmünd about 3000 students are preparing their degrees as preschool, primary and lower secondary school teachers or for health education and nursing.
Activities during the International Comenius Week 2024:
- different workshops and seminars on cultural identity and diversity
- a workshop on the German educational system and educational systems of other countries
- visits to schools, preschools or other educational institutions
- an intercultural and interactive discovery of Schwäbisch Gmünd
- a basic German lesson
- a field trip to Stuttgart with cultural activities
- social activities with German and international students from all over the world and an international dinner event.
At the same time our International Staff Week will take place, so there will be lecturers from all over the world.
Costs for the students:
- Travel expenses to Schwäbisch Gmünd (Flight to Stuttgart + 25 € return ticket Stuttgart – Schwäbisch Gmünd)
- Lunch (university restaurant – max. 5 Euro per meal)
- 1-2 dinners
- Public transport to the university, to and from the schools and to the meeting points (if necessary)
- We try everything to arrange accommodation for free. In case there will not enough places for free, students might be charged 65 € for “Bed&Breakfast” organized by a local student.
Accommodation: It is part of the design of the week to mix and mingle with the locals - all participants will therefore stay with local students (no hostel or hotel!).
Covered by the University of Education Schwäbisch Gmünd:
Guided tours, course material, cooking evening, an international farewell dinner in a restaurant, excursion to Stuttgart (including transportation and entrance fees).
Hosting students and their families will …
… offer their guest: Bed & Breakfast from Sunday evening to Saturday morning;
… pick up the guests at Schwäbisch Gmünd train station on Sunday.
… take them to the university, the meeting points of the week and to schools by public transport or by car.
Arrival and departure:
The closest international airport is Stuttgart. From there visitors can easily get to Schwäbisch Gmünd by local train via Stuttgart main station. There are also good train and bus connections to Stuttgart. Students will meet their hosts at Schwäbisch Gmünd railway station.
The programme starts on Monday, 22nd of April, at 10:00 in the morning, so visitors are expected to arrive on Sunday, 21st of April. Departure: The official programme will end on Friday, 26th of April at lunch time. Departure will therefore be on Friday, 26th of April in the afternoon/evening, or April 27th. The hosting students/families will provide accommodation until Saturday, April 27thafter breakfast.
Language of the week:
English (at least B1 required)
2 (3 upon request by the sending institution before the beginning of the week and with an additional reflective paper handed in by the student after the week)
December 18th, 2023
Dr. Monika Becker,